Friday, April 27, 2012

A Night in the Recording Studio

My band and I went into the studio the other day! It was so awesome. My bandmate and I met them at this fundraiser for my chemotherapy treatment/bills, and they offered to record some of our originals--for free! It's literally blows my mind and blesses my socks off that people like that exist. Every time I bring up any kind of payment, they turn it down, saying "Your payment can be getting the word out that there's these guys out in Sahuarita who record." So here's the word guys, seriously, if you want to get some stuff recording, they're your guys. Nicest guys in the whole world, Scott and Jake Smith.
But yeah, my band, The Ungeneral Public, an acoustic/indie/alternative-rock sounding group, recorded a song of ours called "Yours Truly"," and we went through the whole song and got the vocals done, which is a miracle, and awesome. Vocals take forever--normally. But I guess you could say it was a good day vocally for both me and Taylor. Brad (our other band member) experimented with a drum track, but it turns out the kit that was provided wasn't quite what we were looking for in sound, but we're going in next Wednesday evening to lay down the final brush kit track (we're bringing in the right drum mics) and to throw in the bass line.
It's always really encouragin and exciting to hear a musical work that you've heard pretty much only in your head and on a guitar come out through pro-grade speakers with other instruments. It puts the biggest smile on my face. Yes, I can hear the stuff in my head, but it's really not the same. And it makes me appreciate the musicians I work with so much more. I know some talented people!
Talk of going to Nashville for a small amount time next year has actually been going around, and I agree, that would be pretty cool. We'll definitely see about that! Any n kind of travel like that for our band will defnitely be encouraged.
So yeah, we are most definitely hoping to get a record of about 6-8 tracks out this year; that's our official goal. And it most definitely is a fun goal! Be following us on our facebook page: www.facebook.com/theungeneralpublic and on Twitter: @ungeneralpublic.

1 comment:

  1. Um...you are officially awesome. I can't believe you guys are actually recording stuff! You're going to be famous before you know it! Cat in the Hat to the big time! And I want a CD of these 6-8 tracks! :-)

    ReplyDelete